- How would your life be different if you were able to generate more book sales?
- Would you be able to quit that day job you hate?
- Be able to spend more time with your kids?
- Splurge on that vacation you’ve been trying to save up for?
The key to selling more books is trust, and building trust with your potential customers starts with making a killer first impression through consistent & beautiful branding.
Ever heard the phrase
A picture is worth a 1,000 words
Of course, you have but are you putting that into practice or just grabbing whatever random design you find on your free Canva account and then expecting that to convert into big bucks? This Webinar will review the 10 Must-Haves every professional author should be incorporating into their marketing plan to up-level your online presence.
- 0:00 Agenda
- 1:12 Who we are
- 2:05 Who Am I
- 3:01 My Journey
- 3:48 Our Journey
- 6:10 The Answer
- 8:37 The good news
- 9:53 Definition
- 11:21 Big Picture
- 11:51 Platform Evolution
- 12:30 Why Visuals
- 18:36 Step 1
- 20:00 Step 2
- 22:30 Step 3
- 24.40 Step 4
- 31:55 Step 5
- 35:41 Step 6
Top 10 Steps To Make Your Author Platform Stand Out
1 Create a preliminary business plan
Be flexible – you’re a creative entrepreneur. You’re going to change your mind at some point or another. Or the market will change it for you.
Action Step Find a 1-page template business plan & fill it out!
2 Use a strong hero image
Your first impression may be your only impression – make it a good one.
- Not sure what a hero image is? It’s the real estate on your website that’s above the fold.
- Not sure what above the fold means? It’s anything a user can see on your website pages without scrolling down. It’s an old term from the newspaper days because newspapers were typically folded in half and the top half was prime real estate.
Action Step Find a beautiful image that represents you
3 Blog like a pro
When I say pro, I mean – take it seriously. If you promise to post a new blog every Monday, then you’d better post a new blog every Monday. If you want people to give you their serious, hard-earned cash for your books, you better show and prove you’re worthy.
Action Step Read Steven Pressfield’s Turning Pro
4 Social Media Channel Selection
Pick 1-3 places to be and then be there
Action Step Find out where your readers are at and go to them
5 Personal Branding
You’re a professional so use professional headshots and photos of yourself.
NO MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD
I get it – we all gain weight, collect grey hairs and start looking a little different than we once were. But to hold onto and display images of yourself that are not representative of what you truly look like today is both deceptive and unprofessional.
How many time have you been both scared and confused when you see an Author’s Facebook Live stream of a person who looks absolutely nothing like their profile picture? Don’t be that person. NO ONE is impressed with your match.com like bait-and-switch approach to your headshot photos.
- Save the cleavage selfies for date night. No one wants to see those outside of Tinder. Just don’t do it.
- Save your co-sleeping photos in bed with the fam for your personal home scrapbook to scare your future grandchildren. Avoid TMI.
- Sentimental, cheesy emails like “LisaLovesBen@aol.com” scream unprofessional. I use Lisa@LisaLondon.co
- Same thing goes for @gmail.com, @hotmail.com @aol.com… Instead get a real email with your professional domain. I always suggest BlueHost for your website hosting – it’s affordable [my plan is $2.94/mo] and provides unlimited free email accounts.
Action Step Get professional headshots, remove cleavage & other TMI selfies and get a professional email with your domain
6 Anything but 90’s stock
Old stock images are right up there with clip art and the Macarena Dance
Action Step Use premium stock images
7 About Pages should not be entirely about you
Me, me, me, me, me…is not the way to reassure your new visitors they’re in the right place
Action Step Check out Nikki Elledge Brown’s About Page Recipe
8 Don’t underestimate design’s impact on your sales
- 94% cite design – related issues for doubting the reliability of a website
- 6% cite content related issues
Action Step Sign up for a Website Audit
9 Create a branding guide
This is your visual branding bible
- It saves you time | money | frustration
Action Step Enroll in Beautiful Branding for Authors
Did you know that….
- Blog articles with images get 94% more views?
- Or that Including a Photo and a video in a product release [aka as your book release] increases views by over 45%?
- An estimated 84 percent of communications will be visual by 2018
- Posts that include images produce 650 percent higher engagement than text-only posts
10 Create engaging videos
Video Marketing is the future of Content Marketing
- Video will claim >80% of all web traffic by 2019
- 90% report that product videos help them to make purchasing decisions
- Video is share 1,200% more than both links and text combined
Action Step Enroll in Vlogging for Authors
Did you know that….
- Posts with videos attract 3X more links than text-only posts.
- 4X as many consumers would prefer to watch a video about a product than to read about it.
- 76.5% of marketers and small business owners in an Animoto survey who have used video marketing say it had a direct impact on their business.
- Using the word “video” in an email subject line boosts open rates by 19% and clickthrough rates by 65%
- People are 85 percent more likely to buy a product after viewing a product video
- An estimated 79 percent of internet traffic will be video content by 2018.